According to the Texas Department of Insurance, by law, you have the right to select where your motor vehicle is repaired and the parts used for repairs. However, an insurance company is not required to pay more than a reasonable amount for such repairs and parts. Your rights concerning vehicle repairs are explained in the insurance code, article 5.07-1. www.tdi.state.tx.us/rules/2006/0609-059.html
Things to remember when repairing your vehicle:
1. By law, you may have your car towed to and repaired at any repair facility you choose.
2. Only one estimate is required to determine the amount of damage.
3. Check with your agent to determine if a rental car is available under your policy.
4. Make sure that your insurance company pays for all covered repairs.
5. Choose a repair shop carefully. Faulty repairs can put you and your family at risk.
For questions about your statutory rights regarding motor vehicle repairs under the Insurance Code, Article 5.07-1 contact the Texas Department of Insurance. You may write to the Consumer Protection Division at P.O. Box 149091, Austin, TX 78714-9091, call 1-800-252-3439, fax 1-512-475-1771, email ConsumerProtection@tdi.state.tx.us, or visit the Department online at http://www.tdi.state.tx.us.